Saturday, October 07, 2006

Help.

Good friend Chris is getting married in May next year and a few days ago we met after my shift so she can accompany me to for my fitting with Mr. Farales. She got me as one of her secondary sponsors, and another free formal wear for my collection. Haha.

Anyway we had lunch in Via Mare in Powerplant, where we met another gymnast friend, Nina. We all met in Club Gymnastica a good 14 years ago. We actually disliked each other. Chris' cousin became my first boyfriend and she hated me even more after that. Nina thought I was this bitch who was trying to impress the coach with my 'round-off backhandspring and then landing with a flair' attitude. Haha. Eventually we ironed out our differences and became friends. When Chris' cousin and I broke up a year and few months after she took me and pareng Jose Cuervo in, in her home with open arms and lots of lemon. Nina followed and wisely kept the knives and sharp tools away from me.

That was our bonding moment.

They know I'm not fond of unpleasant surprises.

It came out of nowhere: Could you sing during my bridal walk...

I thought Chris was asking Nina, but when I looked up from my salad she was looking at me; and Nina, with this anong-isasagot-mo look.

Hell no.

It's an easy piece, she says, Panunumpa... acapella.

Easy? Panunumpa? Is she kidding?

Hell NO.

I have sung Panunumpa in another friend's wedding and it is a freaking difficult piece. It's a beautiful and moving song when done in acapella. I've heard Carol Banawa do it and it was awesome. Hindi ko kaya yun. =(

10 years of smoking at least 4 sticks a day has deteriorated my once-okay singing voice. I can still hit the high notes but the strain is too hard for me to sustain. Hindi ko na kaya.

Not many people know this but back in grade/high school I used to join singing contests or sing intermission numbers. Haha. I know. Ayos noh? Hehe. Chris and I both studied in Maestro Ryan Cayabyab's music school in Mile Long in Makati for 2 summers. Actually I persuaded her to join me. Sabi nga niya, kung pwede lang siya na rin ang kakanta, but as it is... she wanted me to sing.

Oh God. She trusts me that much. And I so love her.

Will bargain for another song.

Any suggestions?

11 comments:

Leah said...

"at last" - doris day

hehe. :)

Anonymous said...

do you guys know each other personally?

a gymnast? would've never imagined, i've never met a gymnast before.

... beachfreak said...

@lei: Ano yun? *kamot ulo* Hmm. Research ko nga... Thanks!

@ton: Hey ton! Who do I know personally?

Anonymous said...

you were a gymnast? and you sing? is there an end to what you can do????

"panunumpa" seems to be the fave wedding song of a lot of people. i love "at last", but i'm thinking of the etta james song. it's more blue-sy and soulful, i think you'd enjoy singing it.

Anonymous said...

let's stay together-al green

Anonymous said...

didn't know you can hum a tune. hey! cool! go on, rose. a good friends request at the most important day of her life means everything. practice it and offer it to your good friend. ;)

bah. if you were an INC member, i WOULD let you sing in my wedding too. ;)

Anonymous said...

let me re-phrase what i said: if you were a long-time (and beyond cyberspace) friend of mine, i would let you sing in my wedding. lol. anybody may sing in an INC wedding-reception. ;)

Appellant said...

i would love to see someone do a round-off backhandspring in a wedding.

actually, i would love to see someone do it. period.

;)

... beachfreak said...

@keith: What etta james song? AND what have you been up to? I've been looking for you... I emailed you, did you get it?

@mitch: Hmm. Will look for that now... thanks!

@a-jaw: I know, and I feel so happy that she asked me it's just that I haven't sang in front of a crowd for a few years now *gulp*

@appellant: Haha. I'll have to practice first ;) Have to get back the 'flair' if you know what I mean... =)

b3Rn1cE said...

hmmm try Tunay na Ligaya by ryan cayabyab... its so romantic

... beachfreak said...

@bernice: Oh yeah!!! Oo nga noh. Why didn't I think of that. Thanks!