Saturday, March 09, 2013

Pasta Night.

So I did my grocery shopping earlier today in Pioneer Centre. I bought some canned goods for my baon to the office, and some herbs, sea salt, low-salt soy sauce, etc, so I don't need to worry about what to eat during my lunch breaks or even breakfast.

For dinner, I cooked some pasta, and tossed in some fresh lemon juice, basil, black olives, capers, onions, and garlic. Seasoned it with sea salt. And dinner is served!

Here's the recipe, if you want to try it. *As a side note, this is my recipe, so if you want to change the quantity a bit for each ingredient, it's up to you. I love lots of garlic. I also love angel hair but I only had spaghetti.

Extra virgin olive oil
Dried Italian herbs *I use a mill
Sea Salt to taste
2 heads of garlic (Taiwan garlic), pressed and chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
Fresh Basil, chopped *I used some 30-35 leaves
100 grams of Capers in Vinegar, drained **I usually buy them by the small bottle (I heard that they have capers in sea salt, too)
250 grams of pitted and sliced black olives, drained
2 solo packs of spaghetti *I had these lying around in the pantry and they came with the Pinoy-style sweet sauce.
Juice of 1 lemon

I don't follow the instructions in the pasta pack, I just boil some water with a teaspoon of salt and few drops of olive oil. And then I don't actually stand there and mix the pasta the whole time. I just mix it every 2-4 minutes or so. And then I usually grab a noodle and bite into it, and when I'm satisfied of the consistency I just go ahead and drain it, and set it aside. I saute the onions first because I want them to be translucent, and then I add the garlic. I'm careful not to burn the garlic. Well, I use olive oil, but I still take a little precaution :) I then add the pasta. I try to add a bit more olive oil at this point, but not too much. I then add the olives and capers, and the lemon juice. After tossing everything a bit, I then add the basil. Season with sea salt. A few tosses of the pan and I'm done!

This picture doesn't give the food any justice. Sorry!
The reason I blogged this pasta creation of mine is because my 2nd nephew, Raymund, is a picky eater, and he actually liked this!

This tasted really fresh, because of the lemon juice, and the sea salt just kicked it up a notch.

Try the recipe out and tell me what you think! :)

No comments: